If all the major social-networking, or perhaps more importantly the “Web base” Instant Messaging Applications offered OpenID as an IDP upon loggin. Then the IDPs in this case could offer anonymized data to the advertising industry via market research brokers – who can obtain “target market” samples by demographically via the IDPs anonymized data.
anonymized data from the IDPs
This would be realised by using a one-way hash of the OpenID
IDPs of this sort could allow you to change your OpenID every week, automatically swapping over retaining the old OpenID white-listed sites
Why would this encourage sites to become IDPs
Because advertising planners could see the neighbouring web sites that make up a user’s circle of web sites. Group patterns will emerge, which provide the means to develop methodologies what can determine a user’s future web sites they are likely to read in the future.
Thus the planners can efficiently target users who are “likely” to purchasing thing X by their past browsing patterns and advertising on sites that they know that they regularly frequent.
Further thoughts to be developed:
Q. How can buying intentions be determined? A. Users reach retail sites via search engine or inbound link. IE in the logs, not direct access and inbound links. Or database of search engine sites/ crawlers.
Q. So retail sites also have to “offer up” their anonymized OpenID RP data. A. In return they receive discount with advertising agents via the market research brokers the agents have co-operating agreements with.
But what if the major IDPs are conglomerates of retailers. IE when you sign-up to use IDP brand Z, you had to agree to let your traffic data by available for internal marketing.
So who are the players in the current marketplace:
[Amazon, ebay – 80%], The rest of the High Street on-line – 20%
Players to become retailers as IDPs or IDPs as retailers:
[Google, twitter, FaceBook, – 80%], Co-operatives (etailers owned by their users, who use group purchase power and reverse bidding for price discovery) – 20%
Where does this leave the Banks? Good question in a world without money…